Google has removed a controversial mobile app that offered a direct link to the Google app on Android phones and tablets.
Google’s mobile apps have been widely criticised for being a platform for spam and promoting dubious apps.
Google has said the link was a security measure and not an advertisement.
The link was removed on Tuesday and is not available to download again.
The app had been used to advertise apps including Google Drive and Google Photos.
Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Google+ has also been accused of offering links to apps that promote spam and abuse.
It has since removed that app.
Google says its mobile apps are designed to help users “communicate more easily with their friends and family”.
“We think this is one of the most significant steps we’ve taken to make sure people can use our apps safely,” the search giant said.
Google said it is “working on a plan to remove links to those apps”.
Google+ said it has removed the app that promoted spam on mobile devices and added that the link is not a Google feature.
“We are reviewing this and taking additional steps as needed,” it said in a statement.
“The link to this app was removed by Google because it is an ad.
We are investigating the matter and will remove the link when we have done so.”
Google+ also said it removed a separate app that was used to promote Google+ services on Android devices.
The links were removed after Google flagged the app as spam.